In 1890, only three to four gaslights along 10th Street provided nighttime illumination. In 1914, the Pacific Light and Power Company brought the first power lines into Lancaster and the greater Antelope Valley region.
Although Lancaster had electricity, this was for lights only and service reached less than fifty customers. Toward the end of the year, the question of whether or not a lighting district should be formed was put to a vote. According to the local paper, ''the election held Saturday last resulted in a majority of forty-five votes in favor.'' By winter, streets and homes were lighted by electricity; service grew to 200 and three electric ranges were being utilized.
In 1915, Pacific Light and Power sold to Southern California Edison Company and moved its headquarters to Antelope Avenue by Milling. Around 1920, Edison Co. began assigning street numbers to businesses and homes. By 1925, 878 homes were under electric light and over 200 stoves had been connected.
By 1936, there were over 3,100 customers within the Lancaster division and more than 1,000 electric ranges were in use.
"Gurba, Norma H. Lancaster. Arcadia, 2005.
Photo courtesy of MOAH Collections"