The Southern Pacific Railroad brought some of the earliest settlers to the Lancaster area, with many of the earliest Lancaster residents being male railroad employees. This photo, c. 1902, shows railroad employee Leslie Wright operating a three-wheeled hand-powered handcar. Behind him is the expanded Lancaster Train Depot. The first official depot was built in 1885 and later underwent expansion. Before this, the train depot was a “shack” depot operating out of a tent.
Photo courtesy of MOAH Collections