Louis “Rocky” and Anna Maria Von Rockabrand bought an empty lot from James P. Ward (recorded December 3, 1889) and built the Antelope Valley Hotel, which later became the Gillwyn Hotel and eventually the Western Hotel in 1895.
Rocky was also a restaurant owner, farmer, and shoemaker. In addition to owning land in the Antelope Valley, Rocky and his wife bought and sold lots in Redondo Beach.
This photograph shows them outside what we believe to be their residence in Redondo Beach.
"Gurba, Norma H. Lancaster. Arcadia, 2005.
Photo courtesy of MOAH Collections"